I am not sure what is harder to believe: that WordPress has been around for fifteen years, or that I have been using it for almost six! As I mentioned in part two of the Mercheum history post, I experimented with WordPress for quite some time before actually using it for the Harvey Mercheum website.
Preservation Week may still be going on, but today we continue our special days with World Intellectual Property Day. This year’s theme is “Powering change: Women in innovation and creativity”. I think this would be a good day to acknowledge the Harvey girls: Little Dot, Little Lotta and Little Audrey. Unfortunately, I have not posted any exhibits featuring Little Lotta. If you have an item with Lotta on it, please take a moment to fill out the Contact the Curator form and let me know!
I forgot to mention yesterday that this week is Preservation Week, shame on me! The Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS) division of the American Library Association (ALA) sets aside one week per year to highlight the importance of preserving our collections.
Happy New Year from the Harvey Mercheum! What a busy year 2017 was! Looking back, some of the highlights of 2017 that stand out to me include:
- Switching web hosting to a more reliable company
- Getting the Harvey Mercheum website on the Cloudflare Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Providing true date archive navigation of the Mercheum Blog by creating the Harvey Mercheum Editorial Calendar on Google Calendar
- Being interviewed in Intelligent Collector magazine
- Formalizing the “Special Days” calendar
- Coining the new term Harveyana
- Analyzing the JA-RU rack toy collection
- Posting the 100th exhibit
- Posting 27 exhibits in the 2017 calendar year
I would say, looking at this list, that 2017 was a good year for the Mercheum. Here’s hoping that 2018 is even better!
Today starts Banned Book Week. Given the current political climate in the United States, our right to read is more precious than ever. Banning extends to comic books as well, and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is there to help defend our rights. They have released a handbook with more information, go to their website and read or download it now!